Can't find elder joachim

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by boshh, Jan 5, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. boshh

boshh New Member

Hi everyone this is my first time on the forums :)

I got to the part where virgil left me and later finding him again in the basement. I resurrected and talked with him and everything but elder joachim did not appear at any point during or after the conversation (which he was supposed to according to what I have read- I am playing a good guy btw). Would there be any detrimental effects or would I miss anything later in the game if I didnt talk to him? I have played on quite a bit since that point and I dont think I want to reload an earlier save...

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, boshh.

All Joachim functionally does is provide some linear dialogue. It doesn't affect anything in the game and you will not miss anything because of him not showing up in your game.

My suggestion is familiarizing yourself with the dialogue here (all he says after the conversation is over is a "Good luck to you, Living One." floating line) and pretend that it happened in your game.

3. boshh

boshh New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any idea why that happened? Is it a bug or have I done something wrong?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Probably some kind of a bug. What version are you playing (official and unofficial patch)?

Hm, are you by any chance using Drog's high resolution patch?

5. boshh

boshh New Member

Yes I have all of the patches you mentioned as well as the hq townmaps (if that makes any difference).

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Then it is most probably the high resolution patch.

There is a known problem with it and NPCs which would normally appear off screen. The boat captain on the Half Ogre Island is affected, the halfling related with the firearms mastery quest is as well, I think, and now we can probably add Joachim to the list.

Easiest way to avoid those problems is knowing when those particular NPCs are supposed to appear, turning off the high resolution patch before the trigger and turning it back on after it.

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Hmm, what resolution are you running?

8. boshh

boshh New Member

I use the highest resoultion possible on my monitor which is 1366x768.

9. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The same as my laptop. Yet I never encountered any problems.

This game is really fucked up.

10. Mamalque

Mamalque New Member

I understand you guys frown upon necroing threads, but googling about this issue takes one here, and so for posterity's sake I'll do it, and you do whatever you have to do.

I had the exact same issue, with a fully patched game, running UAP and the high-resolution patch, on a 1440x900 resolution. His sprite even flashed for a moment, as has been reported by folks with this issue.

I solved it by deleting the "-scrolldist:0" parameter I had on the target for the shortcut for the game.

That is all.

Our Host!