People and Quests available later in game (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by pavlekocev25, Sep 14, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. pavlekocev25

pavlekocev25 Member

Hi guys,

there are some people in the game that show up, and some quests that become available, only after the main storyline has progressed to a certain point, a few examples:

1. Mr Willoughsby shows in Tarant, after Qintarra I think.
    2. Franklin Payne shows in Black Root, after T'sen-Ang perhaps.
    3. Donn Throgg quest in Tarant becomes available, after Qintarra I think.
    4. Find the daughter of King Praetor quest becomes available, after Qintarra I think.

If a player follows only the main storyline and doesn't do much exploring or side quests, he/she could easily miss the 2 people and 2 quests that I mentioned.

Now my question is, are there some other similar people and quests that become available only after the main storyline has progressed to a certain point?

13oojum likes this.
  2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Hmmm let's see:

• I don't think Alexander is in Caladon until after T'sen-Ang; and without him you can't access the back rooms of the First Panarii Temple needed to obtain the glass key and complete the Iron Clan quest. Likewise I don't think you can do the quest for Lillian Misk about which servant sold the information to Kendrick Wales until you need to find The Curse of T'sen-Ang.
    • In the vein of Mr Willoughsby only showing up after Qintarra, similarly tied to him are the appearances of Sebastian in the Boil and Heinrich Jenks and their associated quests. Plus Perriman Smythe also only appears at this point, and maybe W. Thomas Moreau offering to sell Bates' Mansion (if you killed Bates) outside the Zoological Society - though that may come later.
    • Tulla is locked unless you go find that bloke on that island (you can do this whether you're following the good or evil main quest), this also bars you from things like obtaining the werewolf cure for the relevant Caladon quest from there. However you can exploit yourself inside by making two waypoints whose path is straight across Tulla and trying to stop dead on the location.
    • Myrth will only appear when you need to get to Qintarra. I'm also reasonably sure the appearance of the Stillwater Giant is governed not by the quest involving him but instead by main quest state (I'm pretty sure I've just killed Myrth before and given his amulet to Gaylin and still have seen the Stillwater Giant).
    • The missions to acquire a boat in Blackroot will only appear when you need to go to Thanatos.
    • Virgil and Vollinger leaving the party are tied to certain parts of the main quest - both can leave after first visiting T'sen-Ang if I recall correctly.
    • You can't uncover anything about St. Mannox until you've visited Nasrudin's sarcophagus and got the message inside translated.
    • As far as I can make out, Tollo Underhill won't show up until you are told about him in the course of the evil main quest (I just checked with a late game good save and an early game evil save).
    • You need to progress far enough with the main quest to get Raven as a follower to be able to convince her to love you long time playing as an attractive human, elf or half-elf.
    • You can't complete Jason C. Guy's unmarked quest (it still rewards experience) to find evidence of ancient tech until you visit Vendigroth, and having just checked using Virgil's debug menu the trigger is the main quest stage changing rather than having visited Vendigroth itself.

I think that's about all I can think of in terms of optional things triggered by different main quest stages (you could argue that Myrth isn't optional - but I'm pretty sure you can also use Conjure Spirit to learn the location of Quintarra from Gaylin so it is still optional); it goes without saying each addition of a new main quest location unlocks more quests (e.g. you have to have met Maximillian to tell Praetor that you've met him - which is another one of those more hidden interactions, etc.).

13oojum likes this.
  3. pavlekocev25

pavlekocev25 Member

4. Selfdestructo

Selfdestructo New Member

Re:

If you go into the Dernholm pits without being told about Tollo he'll still be there. The game clearly doesn't intend for you to do this. All your dialogue options are about you rescuing him, even if you'd never previously heard of him. He then joins your party while you rescue him, but you have nowhere to take him, so he just permanently joins.

I've done it a few times by mistake.

Our Host!