This sounds exciting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jungle Japes, Oct 16, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

2. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

So, nuclear fusion's not just in SimCity, anymore? It sounds promising.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

As somebody in the field of pharmacy, I find most press-release headlines about the latest diabetes or cancer cure to be misleading at best and blatant falsehood at the worst.

Since I am not a physicist I can only be skeptical but optimistic about this sort of news.

4. werozzi

werozzi Member

Are you telling me that there are no miraculous cancer-curing Tibetan berries?
    Ah, damn those science men!

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

To completely de-rail this thread into other science related topic, what about Philae comet lander? Though it's now offline, wikipedia tells me it maybe be online again by 2015 when it orbits closer to then sun and the BBC tells me they've discovered unspecified ORGANIC MOLECULES on its surface. Don't get your hopes up folks, organic pretty much just means containing hydrogen and carbon, but one hypothesis was that they'd comprise amino acids which seeded our planet with life and aren't chemically trivial to form - so we'll wait and see what that brings. Besides, apart from all the overblown metaphors, it was hitting a moving target in space which is always going to be a crazy feat by itself.

Something else that excited me was that plans are now getting set down for the Orion space programme - which pretty much seems designed to land people on Mars, definitely something I'd like to see in my lifetime. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy to see Halley's Comet next orbit - loftier pursuits are almost boggling.

In terms of cold fusion, it's definitely something I'd love to see - I mean we'd be sorted by then right? However, I'm with Philes in his scrutiny - or anyone for that matter; people would be ecstatic all over the world with clean energy. I guess I'm still waiting for Val Kilmer to come up trumps.

6. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

Re:

Not until every scrap of coal and drop of oil is wiped clean from the face of the earth, I'm afraid. Besides, you know how it is on the political stage; clean energy's only for hippies and gay people, apparently.

As for the recent space project concerning the comet, yes, I personally think it's all very exciting. I was a little pessimistic about it at first, but when the Philae lander was said to have finally reached its destination, my attitude turned around completely. I'm certainly looking forward to what the molecules can confirm about our origins as the self absorbed iPhone slaves we are today, too (if anything, but I want to be optimistic about it all).

On the subject of the ambitious Orion project, while I think current affairs on Earth are a little more important than sending an astronaut to the surface of Mars before India does (after all, they can afford to send space probes there while their people starve), it'd still be an interesting venture to watch. I strongly believe that David Bowie's song, "Life On Mars?", should be played during the landing, though. That's all I ask.

7. werozzi

werozzi Member

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire belonging to project Orion... I watched C-men glitter in the dark of Jojobobo's mouth.
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...
    Time to die...

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Re:

Sure, as soon as a proper way to monetize it comes about. Recently there was a statewide push to move from wasteful incandescent bulbs to the more energy efficient CFL and LED bulbs. Because people in the state are now all using low watt bulbs, the electric company has increased how much our power costs so there's no difference in the bill.

Power companies will always find out how to get paid. Green alternatives "aren't viable" up until they're profitable, regardless of whether or not they work.

9. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Re: Re:

India's not one of the countries with a regular famine problem. They *used to be*, but now the country is absolutely full of technical experts who are planning to conquer Mars and it is absolutely vital we don't let them.

Our Host!