"Put God back in the Pledge!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Sep 1, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

To those of you not living in the US, you can have a laugh at how our pledge of loyalty to our country (kindof) violates our first amendment.

The pledge itself was written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy. It didn't contain the words "under God" or even "the United States of America."

Back in 1954, when the Red Menace was all anyone talked about, Eisenhower told Congress to add "under God" to our pledge. This was done to separate ourselves from the godless communists and show our moral superiority - and also was horribly unconstitutional. It changed the meaning of our pledge from "We're unified as a country!" to "We're all monotheists unified as a country!" In the previous decade, a circuit court declared that Congress messed up by doing this.

Congress' response then, as well as the President's, was a resounding "This is ridiculous." They disagreed with the findings of the court, in spite of its accuracy - though I do agree it was ridiculous that a court spent time deciding this. It's ridiculous because when reciting the pledge, you don't have to say "under God." Hell, you don't even have to recite the pledge if you don't want to. Under this technicality, it's not unconstitutional for that short phrase to exist in the pledge simply because we're free to not say it.

This post is helping me vent my frustration on how people deliver the message I quoted in the title. It happens far too often on facebook; just today my mother-in-law said people who disagree with saying "under God" should leave, because that's how the pledge has always been. In light of the pledge "always having been" like this for the past 60 years, I say "Nope."

EDIT: Had to clarify some dyslexia. It's 1892, not 1982.

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Maybe you should leave, you communist.

Really, I don't know why so many Christians are eager to claim the U.S. as a Christian nation, when the actions of its people and government clearly don't fit that description. If you want mention of God removed from government buildings and documents, I say you can have it, so long as I can keep my 1st Amendment rights.

The thing that bothers me about the addition to the pledge is the way people recite it as though there were a comma between "nation" and "under" when there clearly isn't.

3. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

It's always easier to call yourself a Christian as opposed to actively living out a Christian life. Ted Heggard is a man who needs no introduction. Also, consider how earnest American conservatives in the political arena are in boasting of their adoration of Christ when they dish out such verbal effluence as the following.

Our Host!