Bible Study with Xyle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ytzk, May 22, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

This is a lot to take in. I question your logic. Can we start more slowly?

2. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

3. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

One of the positive side with Bible studies seems to be that you'll learn how to make citations. The biblography* must also be easy to assemble.

*More like Bibleography. AHAHAHAHAH.

4. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Why are you digging this shit up TP? It's not like Xyle didn't give you enough ammunition in his latest thread. By all means, pile on if you feel like you need a punching bag, but do it in the current thread. Hell, you could even start your very own "Verbally gangbang Xyle" thread if that floats your scrote, but don't dig up a year-old thread to make a weak-ass "Bible-ography" joke in which you fail to correctly spell bibliography.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah, the only grave-digging around here should involve papa_dog's mom.

Jungle Japes likes this.
  6. wayne-scales

7. Xyle

Xyle Member

"But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."
    Matthew 23:11-12

What is better for YOU, ytzk ... for me to elevate myself now only to brought low later, or for me to admit my shortcomings and be exalted later? If I have understanding, it comes from the Creator who made my brain so that I could have understanding. But I will tell you this now, speech has NEVER been my strong suit. If you lack understanding and wisdom, look for it beyond yourself. Because whether or God is real, He gives wisdom liberally to ALL who ask or seek for it with the belief that they will find it. If God is not real, then it must be a law of nature that provides wisdom to those that look for it; but whether or not it comes from God, wisdom really does come to those look for it ... just ask any Buddhist guru if you don't believe this Christian.

8. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

I like this one:

Ezekiel 23:20

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

ytzk likes this.
  9. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It took a little over a year from this thread's start, but it looks like you finally made it over.

Xyle, each time you arrive, you tend to come here with an air of "I know something you don't know." And to be fair, every single person on this planet knows something no one else knows. I see a problem with this situation, however. There's a pattern we all fall into when you get here; You have a hypothesis or theory you'd like to share, we all end up discussing it - some more sarcastically than others - and you get baited into unloading an emotional response, at which point you tell one or all of us how you'd rather speak to someone with real knowledge in the field your theory or hypothesis fits. Then you either leave or sporadically visit over the course of a few weeks til you fade out for a while. In short, you present yourself as someone possessed of a knowledge we don't understand, and then try to rub it in our faces before you quietly saunter into a corner.

It simply smacks of irony that you hop into this thread with a verse on humility, and you write in a manner so arrogant. You say speech isn't your strong suit, and that's perfectly fine! Many people have difficulty putting their thoughts into words. However, your way of writing doesn't suggest words aren't your forte. In fact, right now your post looks like it contains a few passive aggressive barbs relating to ytzk's comment at the tail end of your "I feel like sharing" thread. The odd part of this is how you speak of looking for wisdom beyond oneself, without even addressing where you went wrong, or admitting your shortcomings in the other conversation you're so casually alluding to.

I almost feel like I need to buy you a scratching post, because you're so damn catty.

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I quite agree with you, Xyle.

It is wisdom to seek truth and the great I Am.

The difference between the big I Am and a big ego is more obvious with time and experience.

11. wayne-scales

12. Xyle

Xyle Member

Thanks Gross, your words are wisdom, and that makes me feel better. I know that makes no sense, but that's me. (My dwarven stone may very well be a form of glass.)

So in the spirit of Gross's wisdom:
    Yes. Now, may I have another question to answer, ytzk?

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

A question for a true believer.
    Well having been baptised and bibled and so forth, I have no need for basic Sunday school nor even advanced theology.
    How about this: Is it really consistent with God and Jesus to enforce a hierarchy of men over women?
    Praying to God for obedient women seems to me contrary to the golden rule.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Doesn't the golden rule only apply between equals?

15. Jungle Japes

Your following question reveals a questionable understanding of the Bible, if not a lack of biblical knowledge. And I'm not sure what you think being dunked/sprinkled has to do with your understanding of biblical theology.

That depends on what you mean by "enforcing a hierarchy." If you mean subjugating women, treating them like slaves in the home, making them subservient and unable to advance in the workplace, then no. That's not what the Bible teaches. The biblical image of marriage is a man and a woman, sharing mutual love and respect, each filling roles to which they are naturally suited, and functioning as a single cohesive unit that is more capable than two separate individuals. The man is the head of the household, the leader and protector if you will. As with any leadership position, there is the temptation for totalitarian abuse of power, but that's hardly the ideal form of leadership.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at with this statement. Outside of maybe praying for an ideal wife, I can't even think of a situation where someone would pray such a prayer. And if that's the situation you're referring to, I don't see how desiring a certain quality in a mate would be a transgression of the golden rule.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    It seems to me that the bible does rather limit women's advancement in the workplace.

17. Jungle Japes

Bro, do you even Bible? This verse is taken(out of context) from a letter written by Paul to his protege, Timothy. In this particular segment of the letter, Paul is giving Timothy guidance on forming the structure and order of the fledgling church he was pastoring. He's making this statement regarding the hierarchy and leadership of the church, not the workplace.

Xyle likes this.
  18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    So, you're saying that outside of marriage and religion, the bible promotes complete equality of men and women?

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

There's a difference between honest debate with an open mind, and simply antagonizing another person to be contrary.

One of many reasons I don't really get in to debate in text forums online.

20. Jungle Japes

Men and women are of equal value in the eyes of God, and yes, I believe that's biblical.

But men and women are different. Men and women were designed with different propensities. Some things come more easily and naturally to one gender than to the other. Thus, they were assigned different roles in the home, and in the church. There are differing opinions on how rigid those sector assignments were intended to be; on one end, those who think women should be all but confined to the home, and on the other, those who feel that gender roles are more like guidelines or suggestions.

So if your definition of equality is sameness of treatment in every aspect of life, then no, that's not what the Bible promotes, because that would be stupid. But if equality refers to the same high value placed on every life, man or woman, then yes, the Bible promotes equality.

Now before you fire off whatever next controversial Bible verse you've pulled willy-nilly from the pages of the Good Book, I'd like to make a suggestion. If you're genuinely interested in Christian apologetics, there are plenty of Bible commentaries out there, written by biblical scholars much more well versed than me, that will go waaaay deeper into this stuff than you'd ever really want to go. If you're interested in my opinion on some controversial text or theological concept, shoot me a PM, we'll discuss it(not that I have a problem stating my opinions publicly, but it's tiresome have a dozen people waiting in line to disagree with everything I say). But if your angle is to attempt to shoot holes in my beliefs, save your breath; I promise, you're not going to convert me to Smuelism. And if you're just here to poke fun at Xyle, do so without making asinine statements about Christianity.

Our Host!