Filthy DLC & Crusader Kings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruda, Feb 14, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

There is currently a sale on GamersGate and a lot of the addons for Crusader Kings II are at 75 % off. Unfortunately, there is a fucking myriad of them so if there are any Paradox veterans around here who could help sort out the shit that don't add to the actual gameplay (and sort out those that do, but aren't any good), that'd be much appreciated.

As far as I can tell, these are the worthwhile expansions:
    The Old Gods
    Legacy of Rome
    Swords of Islam
    The Republic

I've heard a lot of complaints on Sunset Invasion & Sons of Abraham. Should I pass on these?

There are a lot of "Songs of ..." addons that I'm guessing only adds music. If so, I'm not at all interested in them. There are also a lot of unit packs (sounds interesting, more units is always a good thing) but how many different units do you actually need? Do they just clutter things up? There are a few ruler designers (these also sound like fun features) and a few portrait packs. The portraits seems unnecessary unless some factions share (or even lack) portraits without them. If so, these are things that should have been included from the beginning!

To make matters worse there is a little release called Crusader Kings II: Collection. It includes a lot of the DLC but, on closer examination, not everything released to date.

Finally, there is yet another expansion coming up (something about India) that'll likely be followed by more unit packs and songs and portraits and whatever else. Perhaps one should wait for the Special Collector's Ultimate Edition instead?

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

3. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Ooh, my favourite!

Yeah, Sunset Invasion is a shit. Don't touch.
    Sons of Abraham is okay I guess, it adds the pope/cardinal game and antipopes and jews and all that cool shizz but it adds some rare gamebreaking fantasy events with witch queens and satanist armies...

The unit packs are sort of deceptive for new players, they don't actually add new units, they just add new unit sprites on the map. So no gameplay effects, just cosmetic shit. They look really good, but completely useless.

'Songs of' are only music packs. Good tracks by Andreas Waldetoft but not for you if you don't find yourself super immersed by the existing music in the game.

Portraits are based on two things; the hidden 'ethnicity' parameter, which affects your skin colour and base facial features, and the non-hidden 'culture' parameter, which affects clothing, accessories and hairstyles. A lot of styles are shared between many different cultures and ethnicities if you don't have the portrait packs (Ethiopians and other africans look like arabs, Norsemen look like Christians, etc), so it looks a little bland without them. No reason to get them unless you're into diverse character portraits.

The ruler designer is a musthave for fantasy characters. You can't even name your starter or your dynasty without it. Bullshit.

Rajas of India is gonna be fucking hype. Imagine a Byzantium stretching to Hindustan, and in an imported EU4 game the British show up and are like "wtf why are Romans in India?". Sooo cool!

4. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Thanks a lot. I ended up buying Legacy of Rome, Swords of Islam, The Old Gods and, of course, the Ruler Designer. I also noticed something called Customization Pack that seemed like a lesser version of the ruler designer. Does it include anything that the other lacks?

5. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

The customization pack has renaming of titles too.

Our Host!