U.S. news is really freaking me out...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sleek_Jeek, Oct 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that Smuel has scorn waiting on a spring trap, but in all earnestness, I envision a cyberluddite future.

That is, living like peasants with google goggles. I guess it seems absurd to someone in an office in London that we should each be more responsible for feeding ourselves and dealing with our waste, or that people would work to maintain a society without a selfish motive.

Well, either I'm right, in which case I do not share in the delusions of society, or Im wrong and therefore deluded. In either case i am technically not sane and hope at least that your brave new world won't execute the mentally feeble.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Re:

I don't want to be a farmer addicted to his occulus rift full immersion tf2. :cry:

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re:

Since all of recorded human history shows a pattern of striving to rise above having to grow our own food and deal with our own waste, then yeah, it does seem ridiculous that this is your vision of a brave new world. Also, experiments with communism show that people don't work to maintain society without a selfish motive. You can always argue that we just haven't found the right magic formula yet, and hey, I'm not saying there isn't a better way, just that experience shows us that if there is one it's damned difficult to get right. So unless you can come up with some concrete structure for channeling human selfishness in a way that results in your cyberludditism, all you're left with is wishful thinking. At the very least you should ask - if we're all working in fields all day to support ourselves, who is going to make the Google glasses and maintain the infrastructure that supports them? (Server farms, electricity, content, etc... )

Erm... you're the one proprosing a brave new world. I'm saying we're likely to have to endure more of this world.

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Ecologically speaking, sir, a monoculture of middle-class, merchant monkeys is a brave, new world.

Our Host!