Utter Geekiness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Sep 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

So what have you done in the past that has marked you as a massive geek? And I'm not talking about something constructive, such as learning how to program or something similarly worthwhile, but something completely frivolous that only serves to make you question what you are doing with your life.

I'm currently in the process of sorting out Wine so I can install windows games on my mac without having to resort to bootcamp or other nonsense. I'm primarily motivated by this as I want to install Medieval: Total War II, which is my go to strategy game, but in the process I remembered that I made this. What you're looking at here is a guide for a faction for a mod - it's not even the main Medieval: Total War II game! It's some fruity Middle Earth mod people made that essentially allows you to Total War elf, orc and dwarf style which - whilst fun to play - is very geeky and the fact that I made an extremely detailed guide for it is geekier still. My "Why the Dwarves?" section is particularly, erm, special.

I'm not saying I'm ashamed - it is after all almost a work of art in terms of strategic planning, perhaps one of the best stratagems ever conceived by man - but I'd be lying if I said that I couldn't have channelled the time and effort I spent making that guide into something more worthwhile like the revision I should have been doing at the time judging from when I posted it. I'd also be lying if I said that I've learnt since then not to indulge so wantonly in unadulterated geekiness when I have much better things that I should prioritise.

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Bought Arcanum, never looked back.

That was 10 years ago.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

While working more than just a few fashion retail jobs during the "economic downturn" I became a bit obsessed with fashion. While I do not, and never will own a short brimmed fedora with a MLP button on it, I'm still prone to some peculiar habits. Instead of spending a half hour clicking through wikipedia or youtube I'm just as likely to spend twice that amount of time looking at Alden's web page, or some other made in the USA designer stuff I can't even afford.

While working at music venues and restaurants pre-2007 had already kicked up my sense of grooming working and learning about fashion retail kicked it up a notch to the point where some people think I'm crazy. Not crazy because I spend money (I don't spend much on clothes) but crazy because I'll wear dress shoes with jeans, or because if I hear someone say they want to buy a denim jacket I'll jump in and ask which brand and how they plan on laundering it.

While its paid off in a few ways, it is always boring to talk about. Unless someone else already knows what you're talking about then it's just bothersome to talk about where and how and who the best crew neck sweaters are coming from. And I'm talking about crew neck sweaters from Old Navy, or Levi's, or Macy's, which is exactly why browsing the Frozieri, or even J.Crew web store for half an hour is so damned nerdy.

If you're not sure this wasn't an especially nerdy period of my life it should be noted that during this same period of time my team fortress 2 backpack grew to an estimated value of $112. http://backpack.tf/id/76561198034749766

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I am a computer game addict.

In the past, camping on islands or blacked out in the mountains, I invented computer games with pencils and paper to keep on playing make believe.

The really geeky thing is that my life is, in general, a fantasy camp. Thanks to my contrary nature and delusional worldview, I have lived the life of a rpg character, wandering the earth and having adventures. I've even been among communities who accept your job description as 'wizard' without blinking.

Despite all that, I log on to the House of Lords regularly, play games daily and, if civilisation ended today, I would have a hand carved board game ready for tomorrow.

Also, I regularly say 'live long and prosper' or 'qaplah' or 'may the force be with you' and I mean it.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I have become fluent in League of Legends parlance.

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

9. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I'm disappointed. I thought I'd find at least 20 pages worth of fanfiction in this thread.

Not that I would know anything about such matters. Or attempted it myself...

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Yuki, I have to ask, what is that "the binding of Isaac" on your link?

I ask because that's my given name and I want to know whether I should be excited or concerned.

Edit, okay I've googled it, turns out you weren't planning anything kinky. But Jesus, that's one fucked up backstory for a game.

I guess the moral is the same as the one of the Old Testament Isaac: schitzaphrenics should not raise children.

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  13. No.9

No.9 New Member

I'm on this forum and I don't even know what Arcanum is.

I'm like Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club.

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I just needed to chime in here and mention that there is a hands down INCREDIBLE Binding Of Isaac mod for Team Fortress 2. If any of you are familiar with the TF2 Mod "Super Zombie Fortress" then you already know how this game works, except the BOI map has giant roving boss monsters for certain areas. It's really, really fun.

[​IMG]

One of the best things about this screen shot is that the match ended about 3 seconds later. The last thing I saw was the taunting Soldier get gibbed by the spinning head, and then either the flies or the spy killed me.

15. werozzi

werozzi Member

I enjoy reading Dwarf Fortress combat more than watching a movie.

Also I've read all B/X, 1e Dnd material plus most of gamma world and currently have an OSR RPG/Illustration blog, though this last one a bit outdated.

Finally, I've been able to grasp the ellusive amulet of Yendor in many a roguelike and lived to tell the tale.

(As a bonus, the other day, after mocking my brother for being a "nerd", I looked upon the Wikipedia page and found out that I'm the single, most fitting person with the term.)

Our Host!