Skullgirls? Skullgirls.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muro, Jul 30, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Question: Do any of you fine gents and gals enjoy... fighting games? (I know at least some of you do, I've done my research)

If you do and/or if you're willing to give one a try, then allow me to interest you in an indie game called Skullgirls. It has been available on consoles (i.e. beyond my reach) for about a year while the PC version is scheluded for release for August 22th. However, preorders will be available on Steam since August 1 and they'll give instant access to the very playable beta as well. As far as I know, the game will cost $15.

The art style in particular is what initially caught my attention. Long story short, I became a backer of its Indiegogo campaign a few months ago, have been playing the beta for about a month and I have to say I just can't get enough. An online game with an evenly matched opponent is such a blast. If you decide to pick it up, I'd definitely enjoy some matches against you and/or will gladly help with getting the hang of the game.

To inspire some interest and show some of the ideas poured into the game, I'd like to share a general story/gameplay trailer as well as trailers for two chosen characters: a murder cartoon and a dismembered yet living thief.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AG88wRA4FA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kum1Z78mgzI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJsiLp4IC8o[/youtube]

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxX7AFHmOCI[/youtube]

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Matt and Woolie like Skullgirls so much, they forwarded $2500 towards its Indiegogo Campaign. Among other things, this means they will appear as background NPCs in one of the new fighting stages. Here you can see how their crouching characters will look in the game, as well as the NPCs of a few other people.

[​IMG]

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Meh. I like weird well enough and this certainly has weird going for it.

Also coming at you in August 2013.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Divekick is something I have been hearing about for a while. Seen discussions whether or not it's a "real" game and such. Now that I've looked up some fairly amusing gameplay footage, I'm definitely adding it to my list of things to try out.

According to plan, today Skullgirls became available for pre-order on Steam. Purchasing the game in this manner grants permanent access to the beta (which will continue after the game's release for things such as experimental gameplay changes, testing out DLC characters in their work-in-progress stages, etc) as well as the color palette DLC.

Speaking of DLCs, a few words about the upcoming ones. Skullgirls currently has 8 characters with 5 more on their way thanks to the Indiegogo campaign. The first DLC character will become available at Steam release and then each following one about 3-4 months after the previous one. Important thing is, each character DLC will be available free for three months after its release. Not just as a trial run either - it will stay free forever after that time for those who have acquired the DLC in question during that 3 month period.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Got my hands on something special from the Indiegogo campaign. It's an extra Steam code that grants access to the beta version of Skullgirls until the game's official release on 22 of August. Since I have the beta already, I'd be glad to give the key to someone who wants to try the game out.

The beta doesn't feel like "only" a beta at all, by the way. Other than two modes not being up yet, it pretty much means having access to the full game for free for two weeks.

Anyone interested?

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Days before Skullgirls' official release on the 22th of August, an online tournament was organised for the beta version of the game.

Single elimination, best 2 out of 3 rounds. Registration was capped at 1024 players. There were theoretically 3 days to register, in practice all positions were filled within the first day.

Didn't count on much, joined in for fun and to show interest in the game. Still, managed to hold my own for a while. Defeated my first two opponents and lost in an evenly matched fight against the third, meaning top 256, baby.

[​IMG]

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Congratulations!

I doubt my button mashing would have carried me very far.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'll be live streaming online Skullgirls matches tomorrow. The stream will start on Friday 27th of September at 8:00 PM CEST (meaning 32 hours from the moment this post has been submitted, minus 11 minutes) and will last for about 2.5 hours.

If you feel like watching some Skullgirls gameplay footage or just hearing my magnificently mic-distorted voice, remember to drop in and hey, maybe even say "hi!". I follow the build-in chat and respond to it regularly during streams.

My Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/StopMuroTime

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Late announcement, but better than none: I'll start a next stream in 30 minutes. Same place and whatnot.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

13. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Alright, that DID make the nostalgia nerve twinge a bit.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Why nostalgia of all feelings?

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Because the footage reminds me of Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and all that 2d beat 'em up goodness back in the days where games were played on things called consoles and personal computers were exclusively owned by weird people.

16. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Yeah, sure, consoles. Not arcade machines or anything.

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Owning an arcade machine today is even more rare than it was back then.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    It would however be the ultimate awesome, especially seeing as you're paying a god-awful amount for a single game.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Earlier this week, Skullgirls' first playable male character was released as a free DLC. Meet Big Band, a former cop who got on the wrong side of the corrupt police force and nearly died in an "accident". Rebuilt and augmented with a plethora of instrument-themed machinery, he still has the drive to do the right thing and show dem younglings how things are done.

Are you ready to rock!? Irrelevant, because it's time to jazz.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFiwec6-VY[/youtube]

Big Band is free for a period of 3 months and will stay free forever for those who "purchase" him within this time.

Our Host!