Good Old Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Jan 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. werozzi

werozzi Member

At least we can be sure he's finished at least one game during his lifetime...

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

3. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I picked up Divinity: Dragon Commander from GOG about a month ago during a sale.
    I think this game is great! The strategic decisions made during the board game phase are resolved by RTS battles. There are RPG elements between the strategy and battle components that affect the strategy portion and develop the character arcs of the NPCs. I really enjoy the visual design of the characters and the voice acting really brings the writing of each character's dialogue to life.
    The board game portion plays out like RISK and the RTS battles are probably shallower than any diehard RTS fan would enjoy, but I am shit at RTSes so I am grateful for this quality. In any RTS battle, you can morph into a dragon and participate in the battle by buffing or healing your units or debuffing and damaging your opponents in real time. I would have preferred if the player were able to direct more than one RTS battle per turn, but this was likely a design choice made to bring more balance to the game. Any other battles are resolved automatically by some automatic calculations.
    I am on Chapter 3 of three chapters and have had a blast. If you have any interest in a steampunk RTS game blended with a board game with politics splashed in for good measure, then check this game out.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

If you marry the skeleton chick there is a option later to turn her into a hot human chick. If you are into that sort of thing....

5. TheDavisChanger

I married the dwarf for reasons apparent. I'm given to understand that marrying the undead princess opens the field for a variety of more corporeal forms.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yeah she can transform into a few different forms. There are things you can do with her afterwards too. Things TDC!

7. TheDavisChanger

8. Grossenschwamm

And here I thought we'd get along. Unfortunately, I like stuff.

9. TheDavisChanger

It's fine to be contrary, Grossenschwamm but you don't have to get in my face about it.

10. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

GOG has a Halloween sale on over this weekend, I don't know how much time is left but it looks like they have some pretty good games for cheap (this Gamespot article has the full list).

I picked up Outlast and the Outlast DLC (both of which were cheaper than the Steam Halloween sale), System Shock 2 and Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (slightly cheaper on Steam, but only by a smidge). Now I've got to see if the wineskin wrapper will work for Outlast and if my mac has the specs to run it.

11. Jojobobo

GOG are offering Mount & Blade for free for another 20 hours - might appeal to some of you? Even if it doesn't, it's a free game.

There's also other good time limited deals, such as the best of Bullfrog (Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2, Theme Hospital, Syndicate Plus, Syndicate Wars) for 80% off for another 20 hours, and Arcanum is 49% off for the duration of the sale. My email tells me there was an ultimate D&D collection for $20 down from $100, but I can't find it on the site so I'm presuming that was a very time limited offer.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Pretty cool offers there Jojobobo!

13. Jojobobo

Thanks Zanza, your praise is what keeps me going every day.

That D&D collection I mentioned is now up for another 22 hours, containing Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga, Icewind Dale Complete, Neverwinter Nights Diamond, Baldur's Gate 2 Complete, Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone, Planescape: Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 2 Complete, Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard, Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete - all for only 13 shiny pounds.

14. Grossenschwamm

Re:

I guess I can't buy it, then. All my pounds happen to be dirty.

15. Jojobobo

To be honest, I put "shiny english pounds" as macs seem to perversely lack a hashtag - so I've now replaced my pound symbol for # (not that I tweet at all but in the past year I had to do some bioinformatics coding so you can use hashtags to toggle lines of codes in use) and obviously I was too lazy to copy and paste one from the internet. There's a completely uninteresting anecdote for you.

16. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

You know, I really have to get around to finally purchasing Syberia and its sequel from Good Old Games. I haven't been playing that many point and click adventure games, as of late. I hope to remedy that fairly soon.

17. TheDavisChanger

This on Steam, not GOG, but it could be cool.
    As part of a Capcom promotion, the Dungeons & Dragons arcade games are on sale, both included for $5.24 US. With online co-op, the four-pack at $15.74 is even juicier if you have friends who want to tackle it.

Also, Remember Me is on sale for $5.99 from the same promotion. I mention this because I am playing through it right now and really enjoy it.

18. Grossenschwamm

I've played through Shadows over Mystara a few times on a emulator. Fun game - odd that it's able to semi-capture the atmosphere of a tabletop RPG with a few branching paths you can choose in the story, while still being a very fun old-school Capcom side scrolling brawler.

19. TheDavisChanger

The GOG Summer Sale is on right now. In fact it's probably drawing to a close. For the next 22 hours or so, all of the games it has had on sale are on sale again. It has games I have never even heard of before such as Arcanum for as low as $1.49.

I've mentioned Divinity: Dragon Commander before and it is available for $8.00. I picked up a game called SpaceChem for a buck and I am really enjoying it. This puzzler's mechanic is an abstraction of computer programming so it has less to do with space or chemistry and more to do with computer science.

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I thought that part of the point of the board upgrade was to eliminate these spam bot posts.

Our Host!