What has happened to the English Languge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Bomb, Aug 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you find that speaking in full, unbroken, and lacking in modern slang English, is considered outl

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

His trolling is so successful that you continue to come back and engage in it.

It's good for me because I got a free show out of it.

Everybody wins! Except you! And maybe black people!

2. C64

C64 New Member

By the way, I hadn't noticed you were from Boise. I lived close to there for awhile, and I was really quite surprised at how nice that city is. Growing up, all I knew about Idaho was that they grew potatoes and had an Aryan Nation compound somewhere close to Coeur d'Alene -- I was not expecting to like the place. Hell, I even got to see the west coast premier of one of Don DeLillo's plays at the Boise Contemporary Theater.

3. C64

C64 New Member

If all it takes to win is to have someone not stop calling you on being a bigot, then the Westboro Baptist Church is the biggest winner of all time.

Jesus, does nobody read Vonnegut anymore?

4. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

You got trolled. And you double posted. Double posting is bad around here. Don't do it again. You might catch the eyes of the admins.

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Ah yes! Double posting! I knew I forgot something...

In any event, Boise is nice. Having grown up in the American South East I didn't know what to expect out of Boise.

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

No you haven't.

7. C64

C64 New Member

Yeah, my mistake. I forgot I could just add that on to the last post I made. I don't frequent many boards that let you edit posts after the fact.

wobbler-
    No one's debating whether or not it was a troll. That didn't need to be pointed out for the same reason I don't have to explain that water is wet, vodka is delicious, or chihuahuas are rodents: because it's completely fucking obvious. What is being discussed is my calling him a bigot for saying racist things, troll or not. Hence the mention of Vonnegut (specifically, this line from Mother Night: "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."). He can defend his bigotry as trolling all he wants, but at the end of the day those words are still his.

Grakelin-
    Oh man, if only that were true. If there's ever a "crazy person storytime" thread, I've got a few things to contribute.

8. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

What you fail to realize the simple fact that because he is trolling, nothing of what he says means anything.

And if you replies on something that means nothing, you have failed.

So stop failing.

9. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

You see, Wobbler gets it. C64, in all honesty, I used to live in a densely black community and I have never met (on the whole), a more colourful group of people. I was only serving a year for theft but in my short stay, I learned a lot about them.

1. Black Dicks hurt.
    2. They are incredibly loud.
    3. They like to fuck white guys.
    4. They are still mad about slavery.

I won't go on as I imagine your probably already putting together another reply that's going to show me and everyone else, the error of my ways and the righteousness of yours. That is of course, unless you have learned anything so far.

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

What was the nature of the theft? Was it petty theft? Was it grand theft?

For all I know, the classifications of theft in the UK are different from the classifications in the USA.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Well they didn't send him to Australia so it couldn't of been that bad.

12. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

Well, I was actually sentenced to 3 years, but got released after 10 months. Gives you an idea of how overcrowded the prison was in cork (Ireland). Don't worry I'm not some kind of thug/ruffian who steals from people in the flesh. It was actually fraud but the Irish called it theft.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I was in Cork July last year, had a blast, wish I could of spent more time there.

14. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

I wonder what the fore-fathers of America would think about such social restrictiveness placed upon 'proper' speaking habits. Something mister Dale here has, as evidenced, used to the full extent of his abilities to which I salute his sense of humor. Your wit precedes you, sir.

Ah, to be a young 'mental' American in the late 18th century....fighting for ultimate freedom from Britain and its parliament...proud and stubborn with a feeling of righteousness at your back, partly because a majority of the populace refuses to pay their share of higher taxes. They certainly had balls back then, and the means to use them in anger.

Unfortunately, the times have thus changed. 'Responsible freedom' has replaced more....'libertarian' values as applied to 'proper' speech. The exercise of free speech has been moderated by social conformity for the sake of convenience or necessity, rather than principle (in general). How you say it holds more emotional weight than the content...the entrance of emotional counter-reponse into proper speech at all is not even necessary except to manipulate. It is a shame.

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Once you start saluting HWLFP, you're toeing a dangerous line.

16. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

What exactly did he do in the past that has everyone's laser sight on him? He has a very deviant sarcastic wit about him, but that's hardly justification for the words of warning received from both you an Zanza about this individual. Something else must have happened. Is this correct?

17. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Well, you could always search through his CURRENT post history, and figure out that he's a sockpuppet, or I can link you to his OLD post histories. RodneyDale has also signed up here as:

Hellbokos

This guy

Bell Hooks

Steampunk

Skinner of Faces

The list stretches on and on for years. The guy has a serious problem.

18. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

Ah, I see now. He is a troll, I think that much is certainly established. If he is an irritant to the HoL, why has he not been banned again? Or do you tolerate him until he gets to a point that breaches forum etiquette?

My guess in why he likes the HoL is because it's so responsive to his particular brand of irritation, as is evidenced in this thread. The classic way for any internet veteran to deal with such individuals is complete ignorance, via banning or just not falling into any linguistic traps he places.

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I have no idea why he hasn't been banned. I don't remember if he is the one who triggered an admin to ban all of Ireland, though it did happen.

He comes back every three months. He's only stuck around this long because Xz and Vorak, who usually hit the ban button first, aren't around anymore.

20. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

Perhaps someone should try to PM them or use an external communication method?

Our Host!