What has happened to the English Languge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Bomb, Aug 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you find that speaking in full, unbroken, and lacking in modern slang English, is considered outl

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

Who the fuck said anything about being edgy or postmodern? I'm talking about racism man. I'm talking about cutting their feet off so they can't run away. I'm talking about, capture them, breed them, sell them, rape them, murder them racism. It's a very effective method of disruption. Nothing drags an emotional craving for moral supiriority more, than a bit of small minded, simplistic, almost slapstick style of racism.
    I believe that you are infact the one trying to be post modern and edgy by trying to ridicule my feign beliefs.
    Can't we just all get along? You say "potato", I say "Pick up the potato and put it in the sack you filthy shitfaced nigger".

2. C64

C64 New Member

So says the guy trying to be racist for fun. If you want to play this tired old "I'm saying racist things on the internet oh how wacky am I" card then perhaps you shouldn't have such a glass jaw about it when you get called a bigot as a result.

3. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make here. I'm a complete bigot but to be honest, most people are bigots. We all get comfortable in our prejudices.

4. C64

C64 New Member

Oh, I see, you're that kind of guy. Here, let me try to explain in short, declarative sentences:

1) You think being a racist is funny.
    2) It isn't.
    3) I called you a racist because you said racist things.
    4) Stop being racist, you racist.

Saying there's nothing you can do about your prejudices is lazy and intellectually dishonest -- you can overcome and move past them, you're just not willing to put in the effort. If the people around you are perfectly content with being bigoted assholes, then you need to hang out with better people.

5. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

You really are quite unintelligent.
    I'll explain myself tommorow where i'm not so drunk I need a spell checker.

6. C64

C64 New Member

You've explained yourself just fine, it's just that your explanation is lazy, mealy-mouthed bullshit.

7. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

Look, I hate niggers and to be honest I think that's fair enough.

8. C64

C64 New Member

Which makes you a bigoted racist, which I get to call you every time you say this shit. Deal?

9. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

I have no problem with you calling me those things at all. I obviously don't give a fuck.

10. C64

C64 New Member

And therein lies your problem.

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I was using a play on words, i.e. "coon" to make a reference to your fake head covering. Get it? Raccoon? Pioneer? I was pretty confident that you don't really wear dead black babies. That'd just be silly.

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I suggest that a group's reappropriation of a slur is a cue to the rest of mankind that it is no longer pejorative and can be used loosely and freely. How something is said is often more important than the words actually spoken, and the intent should be taken into account more so than the demographic of the speaker. Besides, the demographic made most uncomfortable by the use of the word "nigger" is white people.

Why should anybody be predisposed to disliking niggers?
    I thought trolls hated goats.

Point in the round goes to Grossenschwamm.

Also, I don't know how the other Lords feel about this, possibly because they're often too busy abusing other users for grave digging, fluency, grammar, punctuation, and asking questions, but the wanton use of the quote function drives me up a wall.
    • It is unnecessary to quote another's post when
      1) his post consists of five words and occurs immediately before yours.
      2) it is clear that you and RodneyDale are the only players engaged in the dialogue.
    Welcome to The House C64 and I am glad you graduated from lurker to contributor, but you only need to quote something if you're trying to highlight a specific passage of somebody's post to address. So far RodneyDale's posts haven't been complex enough to warrant such dissection.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I agree with TheDavisChanger, see how annoying this would become if people continued to quote? As for points, you can't deny Rodney's hat would kick up a stink, of course it too had a double meaning.

14. C64

C64 New Member

And white people should be uncomfortable using that word, 'cause they haven't worked through the baggage surrounding their historical (and current) treatment of blacks so much as they've just swept it under a rug and tried to pretend it never happened. If white folks want their nigger privileges back, they've got some work to do.

My apologies on the quote tag thing. It's been par for the course on most other boards I've posted on to quote the post to which you're responding. If that isn't the norm here, it's easy enough to change my habits.

15. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

C64, your tongue must taste like shit at the moment. Grow a pair of balls, be cool and get racist.

16. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I appreciate it. It's not a formal policy of the community, just a preference of mine. It's clear enough to me to what you're responding most of the time, so you don't need to quote it, however don't be gun shy and abstain from quoting where it's appropriate.

Many white people are uncomfortable when anybody uses the term "nigger." My white friend recently watched I Think I Love My Wife and he was put off by how liberally the characters in the movie used the term amongst themselves. Even in the appropriate context, my friend didn't know how to feel about it!
    Perhaps it just takes enough experience in situations to understand what an appropriate context is. I've seen several comedians that have come through Boise, and they've been all across the country and have interacted with all types of people. More than once a comedian has singled out the lone colored guy in the audience and made racially charged jokes and the colored guy just went along with it. Meanwhile, all the white people in the audience were sitting rigid in their seats wondering if it was OK for the comedian to say whatever it is he said.

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Thats more of an American point of view, all the yank exchange students at my uni cringe when we make a black joke in Australia because they don't realise we don't sue you for looking at someone odd.

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Did HWLFP honestly just hang around here waiting for somebody new to join so he could troll the unsuspecting bastard?

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I've given up trying to predict his motives. I sleep better at night that way.

20. C64

C64 New Member

Trolling is what he's trying to do, yes. It's an old, tired shtick that people have been pulling online for years -- I've seen it done much better by people far less stable than Rodney. What he's actually succeeded in doing is being a racist. So, congratulations on that, I guess?

As for Australia, you guys wouldn't have the same reaction to those particular ethnic slurs because you don't have the same history of black relations there, mainly due to that whole White Australia policy thing. Aborigines, on the other hand . . . well, you want to talk about the Aboriginal Protection Act? How about A.O. Neville?

Our Host!