Money and character points beyond your wildest dreams!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Alessandro_Monti, Nov 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Umm... You know when someone who normally speaks in normal English starts to speak in "leetspeak" on the Internet, he's probably not being serious, right? You might be being a little sensitive there.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Drog/EJ/Whoever: I don't know why you still think everyone is going to give you a clean slate just because you changed your username and started referring to your past activities in the third person. If that sort of thing worked, war criminals could get away with their crimes by saying "Sure, I killed those Jews, but I don't really like Nazism anymore, so I'm clean". Or, even worse: "I was just roleplaying when I killed those Jews".

We have a Roleplaying Sub-Forum, by the way. Roleplay in there, please. It's generally good etiquette to let people know that you're roleplaying before you do it.

Allesandro: I like you. You're a cool guy. Go to the General forum some time, you'll fit in fine. Drog is just trying to emulate his perception of the rest of us, not fully understanding that our 'newbie hazing' consists of either throwing a flame at a newbie who does something completely stupid, or playfully clawing at somebody else as we do to eachother anyway. So, to welcome you to the forum, I will give you a complimentary

fuck off

and invite you to stay.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Now let's be serious. New guy will fit in nicely around here. And EJ/DBT has always had a tendency to be a vaghat at times.

4. Alessandro_Monti

Alessandro_Monti New Member

Fair enough. I'll remember that in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.

5. Alessandro_Monti

:lol: Good to know!
    Yes, I will visit the General forum. Thanks for the invitation!

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

7. Alessandro_Monti

In time... will do.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Umm... You know that not everyone here is an English speaking native, and that sarcasm is very easily lost in translation, right? He might be just a little unaware.

Given his grasp upon the English Language, I would venture a guess that either that, or he's younger.

(Not trying to attack you, Mesteut. Just prove a point. Also, if I'm wrong, Allesandro, my apologies)

This forum has a strong history of self moderation. You'll find that while there may be those whom jump on the new folks like cats on mice, there's also your fair share of knights in shining armor, raising shields and defending the newbies. Yea, I've seen a handful of people scared away by the general rudeness of this forum, but, in all reality, I think the age of this place, and the lack of Arcanum existing in an easily acquirable format has done more to try and strike the death knell of this place than any of that. I'm not sure if you are aware, DBT, but I've been around for Six fucking years. I've been banned probably seven or eight times, which includes barring half a continent from accessing the forums simply for the goal of removing me. I know this place. I may not know Arcanum as well as you, but I know this forum much better than you. I'm not telling you this because I'm in a mood to brag, I'm telling you this so you can understand something. I have seen a LOT of people come and go. In my experience, a lot more of it has to do with the age of this place, and the age of the game, then the nature and character of this forum. Hell, I probably can be readily accused of taking out more members of this forum than Xiao/PD, and the present group of people who terrorize newbies combined. I've seen some angry posts from people who left in a huff over the way we treated them, but I've seen far more drift in as they were playing the game, and drift out after playing it. Let's face it. This may be rankable as one of the greatest games of all time...

but it's eight years old. Even with the mods you've graciously provided us with, most people don't know it exist, except for those who bought it new, or sought it out to add to their collection. I can't find it in any stores that carry computer games anymore. Maybe I'm unique in that, and it's still floating around in other parts of this country and the world, but don't blame the fact that new people get flamed for the fact that there's few people left here.

I'm done bickering with you Drog. All I want is for you to not spam this section. Go do it in the GD, and let's keep these threads for the help of those few newbies who still come around.

9. Alessandro_Monti

You have two things right: the first is that English is not my mothertongue (although I live in the UK), and the second is that I am pretty new to leetspeak (as I could never find it useful, or at least cool), so I interpret it as any other form of English speaking.

Not trying to be defensive, I am still unsure what you mean by my "grasp upon the English language". Can you please correct me if I have used incorrect terms, verb tenses and expressions? If my overall communication attempts sound odd, maybe it's because I, like everyone else, have had a different education in a different part of this world, took part in different events and has met totally different people along the way, everything determining my unique character (like everyone else has), expressed in the way I do things, of which communication is the one we're talking about.

Did something I wrote in particular determine you to say that i am probably younger?

My signature quote is what I truly believe in and I want to improve myself, being, after all, a part of this world. So if you, or anyone else for that matter, have any constructive remark about my English, please let me know.

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

tldr.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Well, the younger is partially due to your manner of speaking, and due to your lack of knowledge of how this forum (and probably others) function. To explain the 'manner of speaking' part, your text reads of someone who knows fairly well the rules of English, but has more of a text-book education of it, rather than an actual usage of it. You asked us for patience with you (something this place isn't know for. At all.) in your efforts to learn the way the forum works. You also reacted to DBT's trolling, which was another clue.

Lastly, there's the fact that it was about 60-70% utter ballpark guessing based upon vague intuition from having spent far too much of my life online.

12. Alessandro_Monti

Oh, that's cool then. I actually enjoy using English grammar at its fullest even in conversations. Whew, I almost thought my 20-year English training was just not enough for the members of this forum!

Yes, I am fairly new to forums in general, because I either find what I need already answered in FAQs, or I ask a friend or two. I came to this forum to find answers no one else could give me. Especially about Arcanum, which, sadly, is not a well-known game.

Thanks for telling me!

13. Charonte

Charonte Member

You know, that 20-year old english training has already covered the age of a vast number of our members. So you know.

14. Alessandro_Monti

I was not referring to the general age of the members of this forum, I was just saying that as a non-native English speaker I still rely on native English speakers for correction.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

I never implied you were talking about the age of people on this forum, I was just mentioning it, like I said.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Excellent. And don't you every try to change that.

While we're at it, what's that pic in your sig?

17. Alessandro_Monti

It represents the Dacian flag. The Dacians were the people that originally inhabited the territory of today's Romania, Hungary and parts of Burgaria and Ukraine. Instead of having an ordinary flag they used a 3D flag that represents a wolf's head and a dragon's body and tail. Upon riding their horses into battles this flag made a howling sound (like a wolf) that scared away enemies.
    This was enhanced by the fact that dacian men were physically massive and fearless because they saw death as a liberation, and the only way they would meet with their god Zamolxes. True life only began after death for them, so instead of mourning they celebrated the death of a person.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I always thought it was a peniswolf

19. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

Zanza's posting history:

Drawn-out paragraph
    Penis joke
    Choppy sentence full of errors
    Drawn-out paragraph
    Penis joke
    Penis joke
    Choppy sentence full of errors
    Penis joke

Incidentally, "Peniswulf", or "Penis Wulf", would make a great avatar name for Muro.

20. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Hey I resent that, I do not provide choppy sentences and drawn out paragraphs. The Penis joke, which was one in this whole thread was well articulated and called for. I for one do not pretend to be Norwegian with my name...

Our Host!