Money and character points beyond your wildest dreams!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Alessandro_Monti, Nov 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Now I'm no lawyer, yet anyway, but I'm pretty sure US law isn't applicable in Turkey.

2. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Hence the Pirate Bay being untouched for such a long time.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

The Pirate Bay is in Sweden, or was anyway. And apparently US law IS applicable there. (Of course that judge needs to go back to law school, he's obviously not fit for the job.)

4. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Didn't they get to Pirate Bay from some technicality? As in, "making piracy accessible through an easily usable interface"?

I thought they were actually advertising for TPB. Oh, and what's touching them is Swedish Law, as they themselves used to protect themselves by saying only Swedish Law applies to them. Apparently, sharing torrent files =/= sharing said files in Sweden.

5. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Looks like the internet hates me today.

Anyway, it seems like it's a warez version. Since basically, as you say they just ripped the original CD version, added the official patch (I assume?) and the UAP as a crack. No publisher would approve of such a package.

Unless you can provide some evidence that this was a legit deal, I say it's blatant and obvious piracy. It's irrelevant how much you trust the magazine, really.

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The Pirate Bay is now lawsuited in the Netherlands as well, but I don't how far they are with that.

7. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Well, I don't have access to the magazine's business dealings. I guess we'll have to live with our theories based on what we know.

I still think it's legit, not because I trust the magazine, but because the company that owns it would be sued and the owner would be imprisoned until Kingdom come if it wasn't legit. There have been multiple disputes between the owner of the holding and the government already over the past months.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Sure they are. :)

The avatar&sig may have been chosen, but the title wasn't.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You know, for someone who stormed off in a huff saying 'I'm not playing anymore', you post an awful lot.

Oh, you're good. I think you'll fit in just fine. :lol:

10. Charonte

Charonte Member

No offense, EJ but I don't think it's up to you to say what is and is not legit.

The same thing occasionally happens down here and Australia, and I know for a fact (from a friend in the industry) that the licenses are payed for. Of course a bloody NoCD is used; The readers can't get much enjoyment out of a game if all it does is prompt for the play disc to be inserted. I don't think just a nocd on its own negates the legality of it, licenses were still bought and I can't think of any publisher ignorant enough not to be aware of their nessescity in this sort of package.

Unlikely that the called shot toggle mechanism is driver related, a keymap (obviously) matches various keycodes to letters and the drivers themselves tend to be generic and probably not language-specific. Arcanum, AFAIK uses DirectInput which in turn goes directly through the OS for input options. If the called shots key was in a permenant on/off state then it would be a lot more noticeable than just in Arcanum.

11. Alessandro_Monti

Alessandro_Monti New Member

:) Thank you.
    In truth I think that I only retaliated to a spoiled kid who might have probably just woken up on the wrong side of the bed, or had his WoW account deleted by his mom (laughed like never before when I saw that on youtube). I was amused by imagining this similar Joachim kid swearing and screaming in front of the computer. The culminating point was "gtfo my forum". Best one!

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Can I just pipe in here and say that a No-CD crack isn't a warez if it is distributed by the licensed distributor of the game? Blizzard releases No-CD cracks as part of their patches, for goodness sake.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Just gotta say, although it doesn't look it, EJ is actually talented with modding Arcanum, not some child who had his WoW account cancelled. Anyway proceed.

14. Alessandro_Monti

Let me explain a few things. I respect people by default and I have no intention of attacking if not provoked. While I continue to appreciate the contribution Elder Joachim might have brought or might bring to improving Arcanum, the fact that he is uncivilized lowers him to a big zero.

But please, no more of this. I'm tired of this nonsense. I did not join to prove how smart, witty, or knowledgeable I am. I am here to help improve an already immensely great game if I can, as NOOBy as I may possibly (although not probably) be. That's all.

15. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

No, they don't. There's a big difference between a recompiled, copy protection free version and a cracked one with copy protection simply hacked out.

Anyway, for clarity's sake, I finally checked Mesteut's Arcanum.exe. It's the original unpatched 1.0.6.4 EN executable. Obviously, it won't run without the original CD.

@Alessandro_Monti: you'll have a hard time here if you're so sensitive.

16. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Ahhh, irony.

I'm not sure what you mean. Blizzard's products are not copy protection free. What exactly is the difference between their downloadable No-CD executable and the No-CD executable that a distributor would provide?

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Get off mah internets!

Anyway, on to a point: DBT exemplified himself as a patcher and modder. He's probably the most well-known one there is. Haven't not actually touched his or Rroyo's content, I cannot say who is better, and even if I do use their content, I never will. They're both excellent. The problem is that, since DBT got denounced for banning me in a rather ill-planned/executed manner (I can't find the main thread on the topic), he then left. A few days later, Elder Joachim showed up, and has been mildly trolling this board since. While I do respect the modder, I do not like the troll. I find it boggling that someone who wanted (in a poorly concieved manner) to put order to this place now spends his time derailing threads that were actually useful, and serving a purpose.

My point, Drog/EJ, is either man up, realize you screwed up as an administrator, and live with it, or shut the fuck up, quit trolling, and let these threads be useful.

...either that, or man up, and troll the GD.

18. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Well, for one, a crack is basically the original executable with all copy protection calls NOPped out or JMPed over. Sometimes this has adverse effects, like parts of the game not working as intended.

Basically, do you understand the difference between compiling a program from the source code and hacking a compiled PE file in ASM?

Thanks for your opinion. But to be fair, even in this old and strained carcass I'm more useful than you ever were, DF. Maybe you should try going through my posting history.

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I remember Blizzard making it so you no longer needed the cd to play WC3:FT in a previous patch.

20. Alessandro_Monti

It is amazing how things escalate, I'll give you that. It's not a case of sensitivity, though, it's about mutual respect.

Exactly.

Our Host!