Editable Followers

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You are correct on both accounts.
    ai_params.mes contains the basic guidelines from which most of the NPCs operate, including Kergan.
    Many others have this fine-tuned further by files such as monster.txt and npc.txt which handles things like spells and specific dialogs to be called upon starting an interaction.

2. oni5115

oni5115 New Member

Can anyone post a new link to the file? The one from Xz is giving me a 404.

This would be the perfect way to save my game, as I decided to try and make my own auto leveling schemes and POOF, they all now have about 5 points to spend. I looked at it for the first time and was like... ahhh crap... now I gotta Arc Edit all of them, EVERY LEVEL... *shudder*

I have no idea why they aren't leveling up right, but this seems like a much better way to handle things anyways.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

4. oni5115

oni5115 New Member

5. moonlight

moonlight Member

6. Acleacius

Acleacius New Member

7. Munacra Arret

Munacra Arret New Member

:thumbup:
    Thanks be to rroyo for providing a link to this wee little program. It is something that I have wanted for Arcanum for quite a while now. In that regard, I must also extend (though he may well never see it) my deepest thanks to Drog for making said program.

On a completely un-related note... is it wrong that I, on my evil playthroughs, take Virgil on as a follower only to beat him to death moments later with his own staff? Thats for all of the times you left me to die at the hands...er, legs of those mechanical arachnids!

P.S. Mandatory Long-time reader, first-time poster line.

8. knightlag

knightlag New Member

like with the debug mode EXE, I mirrored this on my site just in case the mediafire/rapidshare/whatever link goes down or if someone doesn't want to use rapidshare/mediafire/whatever.

http://kl-gaming.net/arcanum/FollowerEditor.zip

9. Nekrocow

Nekrocow New Member

And it did :)

YAY! I was editing gamelevel.mes and not sure if I was doing it right, thanks Drog!

10. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Thank you, rroyo and Drog Black Tooth! Very good job!

Oh, and Drog, I'm sorry for having to kill you back there in Stillwater, I really wanted the Stillwater Sword... :p

11. namad

namad Member

12. namad

namad Member

oh also LOL at beating virgil to death with his own staff right away... but i think i enjoy it more to take him along for a long while force him to witness my evil acts, then kill him when his conscious gets the better of him and he' starts nagging me (then again i think he nags good characters too just cause he's a nagger)

13. Vordven

Vordven New Member

Anyone have a working link to this mod? All of ones above are dead. Thanks in advance.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

15. Vordven

Vordven New Member

16. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Does this work with the UAP, high res patch?

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Works with the UAP. Didn't test it with the High Resolution Patch but I don't see a reason for this mod to not work with it.

18. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

I cant get it to work, I start the followeredit, then arcanum

after creating a new game and opening virgil's character screen I can press alt z , activate it via button but nothing happens ingame :(

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The game doesn't immediately recognize all changes. If you activate the follower editor via alt+z (button or key combination) while in a follower's character screen, leave the character screen and re-enter it. You should have the possibility to change/turn off a follower's levelling scheme and invest character points gained while levelling up.

20. cj_nf

cj_nf New Member

I would like to add one thing though.
    This tool allows to make any character build for a party member. Including learning the technological disciplines. But you can't access their crafting interface if they didn't learn any crafting in the vanilla game. The dialogue option with the right command ({su}) is not present and there is no option in the rightclick menu on portrait too (sigh, they could've done it though like with the other menu options, why didn't they).

So here's the most fast and easy way (meaning it requires zero knowledge in coding, hex-editing and other stuff like that) to access crafting UI of the desired party member - by changing existing lines in his dialogue. Adding more lines is a bit more complicated and anyway is not crucial, since we're going to change the "I'd like to know a few things about you" option which is available from the portrait menu anyway.

In my example I'll change Sogg's dlg with the help of Jayna's dlg as a "source of syntax".
    So, we take any undat tool and get these two dlg-files ("dlg\01644Sogg_Mead_Mug.dlg" and "dlg\02886Jayna_Stiles.dlg").
    Be sure to get the most updated versions of them, like from UAP or WIP or any other patch/mod that you may use.
    I use the ones from the latest UAP.

Next we take a look at dlg of Jayna. Troyka is not Bioware with their tlk-system and dialogues here are just text files with a bit of syntax code, so they can be edited with any text editor you want. But yes, there are some tools for it still, to make it more convenient. For this small edit we don't need them though, it's really as simple as it can get.
    These two strings are what we need to learn how to make crafting UI accessible:

{215}{What sort of things can you make, Jayna?}{}{5}{wa 0}{}{su}
    {216}{Whut stuff you make, Jayna?}{}{-4}{wa 0}{}{su}

(I suggest to search only the speech parts in case you use some modified dialogues, which probably may have different string numbers)

{5} and {-4} are parameters about INT check, so the second line is for dumb characters as you see. {wa 0} is a check if this NPC is waiting or not. And the last command is what we're here for - {su}. I guess it stands for Schematics UI.

Then we go and search Sogg's dlg for..

{88}{I'd like to know a few things about you, Sogg...}{}{5}{}{}{ce}
    {89}{I wanna know stuff 'bout you...}{}{-4}{}{}{ce}

..this. As you can see it looks already quite familiar. {ce} stands for Character Editor. Technically you just can change it for {su} and that's it, but let's make it the proper way, shall we?
    So we edit and save Sogg's dlg with these modifications of lines:

{88}{What sort of things can you make, Sogg?}{}{5}{wa 0}{}{su}
    {89}{Whut stuff you make, Soggy?}{}{-4}{wa 0}{}{su}

..Yes, if you look at this dlg a bit, you can find out that a dumb character calls him "Soggy". If you didn't know that already.
    So the final step is to put this file into "Your_Arcanum_Folder\data\dlg\".
    Or maybe build a dat-file with it, if you want, but be sure it has a proper name to be the last override.

So hey, your friendly half-ogre drunkard is now a science genius. Don't forget to boost his INT though as usual.

Our Host!