1. Please help us cover the costs of Terra-Arcanum's migration to Xenforo, Guest! More information is available here.

Beta Version of Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by RunAwayScientist, Oct 22, 2010.

Support Terra
Arcanum:
Good Old Games

1. Crypton

Crypton New Member

Thanks for finding that. Look few posts below....

You see, he has it! I knew it! I also bet that he has source codes, or some parts from that, because that will explain his unofficial patch.

P.S. Maybe he got it from Ben Houge? like that hi-quality soundtrack?

Also:

2. Crypton

Crypton New Member

If somebody is interested, there is screenshot from that beta:

[​IMG]

Now I remember that I seen those Art files of that interface in Arcanum art directory, in interface subfolder, which means that its possible to restore it, especially when we know how how to modify internal GUI configuration table: http://arcanum.game-alive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29

:p

3. Crypton

Crypton New Member

A tripple post, bite me:

I found out who else may have it, the Calis, according to TA archives:

Link here:
    http://www.terra-arcanum.com/oldnews/arc9-2000.shtml

Should we bother him? :lol: Who's going to ask him?

Also this article is interesting:

4. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist New Member

I'll do it. Working on a PM right now.

Good finds ZeroBot. I'm impressed at what you managed to dig up.

Does anyone know Drog Tooth well enough to get a reply from him about Beta Arcanum?

Oh yes, I believe rroyo had dealings with Drog. Perhaps he'd be willing to provide some insights for us.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Firstly, Elder Joachim = Drog Blacktooth. Second, from the sound of it, the beta that those ten received was different than the one Drog/EJ received.

6. Crypton

Crypton New Member

Check few posts above :thumbup:
    We know that press beta was different from that beta that were given to those 10 guys, but EJ said, that DBT has only press version, which means that its pretty unlikely for us to get that first beta, when not even DBT wasn't able to get it, so it will be nice for us to get at least that press beta...

7. Crypton

Crypton New Member

Oh, excellent! I hope he will be able to help us, because I found out that press beta and beta were probably identical, its just different names for different purpose:

Link: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/index.php?section=council&content=faqs&id=uberFAQ

Edit: Also this looks interesting:

8. RunAwayScientist

Haven't received a reply on my end. I sent Drog a message a long time ago and he never saw it or replied. I guess Drog is away from the forums.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

He doesn't exactly like this community much anymore. He's occasionally here (using DrogAlt), but I think he's mainly a Dragon Age person these days.

10. RunAwayScientist

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

12. RunAwayScientist

Good news, Canis gave me a reply via PM. I'll give him a link to this thread and a reply. He expressed concern about legal issues regarding the beta version, however. I told him that Acti-Blizzard owns the rights, and that I'd be happy to help him set-up a .iso for his CD copy and put it up for download.

13. Oracle

Oracle New Member

So the beta has been found then? This reminds me of that lost module that got posted much later then arcanums release.

14. RunAwayScientist

Hmmm, no response back from him so far. He stated he had to 'find it' first. So, perhaps not quite yet.

15. berryla

berryla New Member

anyone else who wishes to step up to the plate.

16. Cephean

Cephean New Member

17. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I downloaded that about a week ago, but it was from different site (they also had press demo, which is different than actual beta, although the beta is also labeled as press demo in readme, beta is dated 10/09/2000 while demo is from 2001) I found by googling. Pretty sure it is same file though as the size matches. I don't think that Russian site really works. Not sure if you're allowed to post that here, but I don't think anyone cares anymore. Activision (?) having rights and Troika being dead I can't really see any problem with sharing the beta. Besides it is almost (there are differences though since it's an earlier build) same as demo version that got shared pretty liberally to press and I think the demo version was available atleast partially for public (like on PC gamer CD), but I'm not sure since I never bothered trying or searching any demos before buying actual Arcanum way back. Regardless, they aren't full games sadly. Full beta would have been more interesting although these demo versions have assets (like files for Tulla, noticed after I extracted the dats) from full game, but they end after Tarant. Interestingly though I remember hearing rumors very long ago (like in 2001 when Arcanum still was a new thing) claiming that earlier build of actual full game had leaked before the release. I think they meant those beta/demo versions though.

Tried to mod those beta graphics into actual game (by just copying the art files) too as beta-restoration mods are far more complete, but gave up as the art files weren't fully compatible and I wasn't feeling doing that much work. Too much had changed in final build and lots of stuff ended up having wrong art. The art in the beta is pretty nice though. Personally I think it is better than in final version, but could be just because almost any change is better at this point due to completing the game so many times.

Those who want something to do with this stuff can feel free to PM me. Not sharing the download links openly unless someone from moderation allows that. They should be fairly easy to google anyway.

Edit:
    I learned there exist some sort of full "beta" that leaked as warez. I would be interested to know what warez group (if any) released it and what files (names etc.) the release contains.