Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Don't ever tell me that I don't enrich your lives in some small way.

Good morning!

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Two years on and people are still discussing on Steam whether Bethesda should gain the rights of Arcanum and make an open world 1st/3rd person sequel.

3. Jojobobo

I would be happy for Bethesda to get the rights, Skyrim is a pretty great game in my opinion. The real issue is how they'd manage to differentiate it appropriately from the Elder Scrolls franchise, Fallout and Dishonoured.

Good morning.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If Bryan Cranston doesn't have a doorbell, what the fuck does one do?

Good evening.

Jojobobo likes this.
  5. Jojobobo

If I was Bryan Cranston I think I would disable my doorbell for this purpose. Every time someone knocks on the door, "What are you doing? I am the one who knocks!"

In other news, it would seem like people are content to try and give me a heart attack about thesis submission. I was told my deadline was March 6th, and I thought that was for submission of my actual thesis - so I rang the printing services (who had said last week that it would be ready today), and they said it would now be ready by the 7th because their binder is on holiday all this week. So I ring the department in charge of thesis submissions, and they say I can actually submit later than that but they need confirmation that my corrections are okay by my internal examiner by the 6th.

As far as I know, this should have been done on the 23rd when she told me they were all okay (I would have thought she would have emailed them straight after me, but apparently not). So I chased her up and now she's out of office until the 4th, so there's a slim chance she won't okay them by the 6th. So I've now had to email the department back, saying she might not okay it by the deadline, but I've done everything on my end to make sure this has all been done smoothly and have emails I can forward them to demonstrate I was under the impression this was all confirmed.

I'm sure it's all fine, as I've not done anything wrong, but it's still annoying to have to spend my morning chasing up several different parties when things should be going smoothly anyway. Once this is finally done, I should be graduating as a chemistry doc in the summer - god help us all.

I still think the likelihood of pursuing it as a career is pretty slim though, as it seems like higher end research groups tend to be filled with extremely arrogant individuals and the lower end groups don't tend to get a lot of funding. During my time I've had postdocs shake with rage screaming uncontrollably at me one off mistakes which later were done routinely by other new group members (and without prompting the same reaction, I think they gradually got less psychotic with time), I've had the same guy shake his head in disgust at me (as if that's a thing people even do), be abrasively demeaning when I've asked them scientific questions (which they should answer readily as my superiors) and I've been called a retard in earnest by a different guy. There were times when I would ask questions and repeatably be told that they didn't understand the question, when what I was asking was completely straightforward and articulate - weird passive aggressive gaslighty nonsense like that.

They've also tried weirder underhanded social alienation, such as one time where one group member had got a new car and another person said it would be his "Shagging Wagon". I commented, "Ha yeah, like Kill Bill," which I didn't realise everyone around hadn't seen apart from the Shagging Wagon guy. Despite appealing to the guy to explain it (I'm pretty sure he said he couldn't remember that bit - obviously), he made it so there wasn't really any way I couldn't say there's a moment in the film where a guy has a car called the "Pussy Wagon". While this may not sound like much, middle class well-to-do British kids can find the word pussy extremely crass and vulgar, whereas the term shagging is seen like jolly good fun.

Ordinarily concerning the screaming bout and someone calling me a retard, I would give as good as I got outside of work or in other work places I would make a formal complaint. However, as these two guys were on the whole more well liked than me and more prestigious scientists, making a complaint would have likely both made being in the research group pretty socially hellish and also have heaped trouble on my supervisor's door - which would also made him just dislike me and/or treat me unfairly. Bottomline, there's really fuck all that could be done without some potential jeopardy to my PhD or to just not having a thoroughly shit few more years.

I guess why I'm saying this, beyond my usual tendency for oversharing, is that the environment in these top institutions (Russell Group in the UK, Ivy League in the US, or equivalent) is probably exactly as bad as you would expect it to be. I'm sure not all the well funded groups have so many dickheads in, but I'd say more often than not it takes a certain kind of supervisor to create a group that gets that level of funding, and that attracts extremely narcissistic god-complex types that think to go around acting like that is okay. As such I think it's pretty tidily stomped on any ambition I may have had in the field, I've got a two month postdoc coming up with the same group which I'm doing for CV fodder and the money, but as I don't think I'm a good fit for industry work either I'll likely as not be steering clear after that.

Good morning!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey man, any time you want to take a break from being harassed and insulted, just come and post here, we've got your back.

Good morning.

You retard.

Jungle Japes and Jojobobo like this.
  7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I would have sworn my last post in this thread was 4 months ago or so, but the forums tell me I wasn't online since a full year ago. Additionally a post which I thought to be the "that one was surely in late 2017" I've actually submitted 1,5 years ago. Well, at least I can rely on my memory of updating the weapon database around a year ago - nope, over two years ago. What even is the passage of time. What indeed.

Good morning.

8. Jojobobo

Good to hear from you Muro, how's tricks?

Good morning.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Dude, the perception of time is a weird thing indeed.

So this article was in my Facebook feed:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/logan-stole-its-entire-plot-from-another-movie-spoilers/

I understand if you don't want to give Cracked more traffic than necessary, so the title is "How We All Saw 'Logan' Eleven Years Ago (SPOILERS)"

I had to think about that. It didn't seem entirely reasonable to me, but part of my brain thought that Logan might just have come out in 2007 after all. It seemed more recent, but what the fuck, I'm still stuck in some kind of limbo where a car from 2003 is brand new, so whatever.

Well, Logan came out in 2017.

Fucking hell.

Good evening.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  11. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Some of his points are valid. Some of his points tells me he hasn't seen the movie completley. To me, Children of Men and Logan are two different movies. One is action drama, another is a superhero movie.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Happy Easter, ya bums.

Good morning.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    APRIL FOOLS! I don't really wish you all a Happy Easter.

Good morning.

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I just tried using the "Save ink/toner" while printing a PDF. It messed up the printing with an extra faint copy of the image slightly offset on the same page. So it in fact WASTED ink AND paper, since I had to print it out again without that option selected. I guess I'm the April Fool after all. Karma has truly played its role, and I'm sorry I was so mean to you all earlier.

Good morning.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Oh you son of a bitch!

Smuel likes this.
  17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    So, now I'm working in a new building, and the doors to the facilities have rectangular metal handles that are quite stiff to turn, and the edges of the handles hurt my hand when I open the doors. KARMA THOU HAST TRULY WROUGHT THY POINT BUT THATS ENOUGH NOW M'KAY?

Good morning.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    Doors.

Push or pull?

Can't trust the bastards.

Good morning.

19. Jojobobo

Handles on a push door are one of the banes of my life.

Good morning.

The Pigeon likes this.
  20. Dark Elf

Media:
    I hereby propose that we ban doors.

Good day.

The Pigeon likes this.
Our Host!