How to get the best ending for Tarant and Caladon?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by therushquarian, Nov 13, 2016.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. therushquarian

therushquarian New Member

I always had trouble properly getting an ending where Tarant and Caladon don't go to war, does anyone know how exactly your supposed to do the negotiations to get the best ending where they prosper?

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The first thing that you've to do is to travel to the castle in Caladon, and speak to Renard who's standing just outside the entrance. Your next move is to talk to the council members inside by approaching the podium in the room at the end of the hall (Don't even bother to talk to any of the lobbyists)

The options (dialogue choices) at the top of each section favour Tarant, and the ones at the bottom Caladon.

3. therushquarian

therushquarian New Member

Yeah but which options do you choose on the list in order to get the best ending, because I never seem to pick the right ones.

4. Arthgon

Having CHA 19 (expert in Persuasion and have the skill at its maximum level) is a must. You also should ALWAYS follow the instructions of the notes that the persuasion master gave to you. As far I can remember you've to choose ALL the first options.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

What Arthgon says is true, GameBanshee also lists CHA 19 as what's needed and then says to pick the first option.

6. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I think you're both mistaken.

Picking the first options every time gives you the highest reward from Willoughsby (and a reputation, if I recall correctly) but you'll need CH 19 to get the Caladonians to agree. If you have less than 19 they'll refuse, Willoughsby will be pissed, and there will be war. Succeeding in this way however, will only give you the good ending for Tarant - NOT for Caladon.
    If you want the best possible ending for both sides, you'll need to make a few concessions (labour laws, magick rights, parliamentary votes, etc) but still come up with something that Willoughsby can swallow. He'll say something in the line of "I suppose you can't have everything" but still train you and toss some coins your way. You can make up for it monetarily by talking to the lobbyists though. Not that you'll be in need of cash at that stage anyway.

Now if finish ONLY the negotiation quest this way there will be war...
    BUT! If you ALSO finish Donn Throgg's labour protestor quest without bloodshed (ie convincing Throgg to slip away, NOT starting a revolution or gunning down the protestors) you'll be treated with the crème of endings:

7. Arthgon

My bad. I completely forgotten to write that down. It was one of those days "Oh. Maybe I should have write that down as well......oh shiny" Too many projects. My apologies.

@Ruda Thank you.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

As I recall, the tricky question is about dismantling the Caladon army, and the ideal answer is third from the top, "Unified Kingdom troops will stand guard outside your walls". This gives you the full 11k gold reward and massive props, yo.

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I always picked the first option every time and helped Throgg slip away, so I guess I got the best ending regardless, which is why I gave such a total and utter embarrassing failure of an answer.

I guess to be honest, most people who do the negotiation will also help Throgg slip away, as diplomatic characters tend to solve everything through diplomacy - which is why I've never seen anything but the best outcome.

Our Host!