An Arcanum sequel possibility

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by on1ondevelopment, Jun 27, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Okay, so it's clearly a tradition to post ideas about Arcanum 2 here to then have a little discussion and let the topic die until the next one appears to discuss the same things again...

Anyways, I think most of the people who recognize my name (Yes, I am THAT zealous) have seen my Arcanum models in 3D. If not, then take a quick look at this thread: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/forums/index.php?threads/arcanum-models-in-3d.22970/

I have an idea about remaking Arcanum as a free indie game, with the same gameplay, characters, quests etcetera. However, Activision/Blizzard own the rights to Arcanum, so I lack the knowledge of how a lone RPG fan could convince any huge company to grant allowance for an unofficial version of one of their game, despite Arcanum being an old and mostly unknown game by those who aren't veterans of its era.

I keep mentioning this however, Command & Conquer was a great series of strategy games once, but the original company that made those games (Westwood Studios) was bought by EA in 1998, and then closed down by EA in 2003. The last Command & Conquer game was released in 2010, which was a terrible game that always needed an internet connection even for singleplayer, and the gameplay was changed completely from the original games. However, since 2007, an indie studio called Totem Arts have been developing an indie game called Renegade X, based of one of the Command & Conquer games. It started as a mod, then it became a stand-alone game. EA still owns the rights for C&C, but Totem Arts contacted EA and asked for permission to make their game, which EA accepted on the term that Totem Arts would not generate any money with their Renegade X.

Also, there is a Counter-Strike 2D, which I know not much about other than it being a free indie game spin-off based of the Counter-Strike games.

My point is that, Arcanum could also have an unofficial sequel. What I love about Arcanum is the intricacy of its universe; You can interact with people in tons of ways, the world is an entire world with many areas and you can visit every inch of it, the universe is full of all manner of creatures, the lores of the fictional history, the steampunk/fantasy setting, the character development, the feeling of satisfaction after defeating a tough enemy in combat. That is Arcanum for me, and very few other games that I have played meet all these factors.

Many modern games lack much of that, which is a shame - good RPGs like Arcanum are a rarity today, I haven't found anything even near Arcanum since... eerrrm... maybe Inquisitor? But that game doesn't come close enough, even though it is an altogether fine RPG. Skyrim is too basic and aimed towards the general community, yuck! And let's not even begin to talk about the Dragon Age games... There is no other game like Arcanum, yet Arcanum is so forgotten! Today's gaming community consists largely of young people without our enthusiasm for gaming, which is why many of today's games are also so basic.

That is also why Arcanum would probably never receive an official sequel, at least not one as good as the original one; for I fear it would be too simplified and lacking to please anyone who remembers it, and that would ruin yet another classic game. Companies today tend to love destroying great franchises, such as Battlefield, Command & Conquer, Stronghold and Empire Earth. All of those had great games in the late 1990's/early 2000's, but the modern sequels are too different from the old games, and too simplified.

So if Arcanum isn't going to be remade or ruined by any official company, then making an Arcanum 2 ourselves would be the wisest option, would it not? We at The House of Lords know what we love about our classic favorite games, we know what we'd want in a new Arcanum game.
    There are many ideas here, but many people tend to have similar ones - making a prequel story about The Age of Legends, or making a sequel where The Living One returns to Arcanum. Some people want an Arcanum in 2D, some want it in 3D. I have ideas about both, but not many of them, as I tend to think more about how the game itself would work in appearing to the world, copyright infringements and such things.

I am open to discussion, although I fear this is a rather dead topic overall.

-Naedrux/on1ondevelopment

2. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril Member

3. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Yes, it is indeed. I would love to develop an indie game based on Arcanum, but I don't know exactly who would throw their copyright documents in my face and sue me for that.

4. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Given there propensity for buying game IPs and siting on them... probably Atari. I'm still pissed about Total Annihilation...

5. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I don't think I'll be able to persuade such a large company to allow me to make a free indie game based on Arcanum. I'm not very good at game developing, it's just a hobby which I pick up every now and then.

6. Dr. Ferb Wallace Mythril

Tell me about it. I was an on/off member of the Homeworld/Honer Harrington TC team before we were hit with a cease and desist order...

7. TonyM

TonyM New Member

Although I don't know if it'll ever happen, I sure hope it does!

Our Host!