PoE is nearly here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jungle Japes, Mar 14, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Pillars of Eternity is just two weeks away from release, an event I know many of us have been eagerly anticipating. So what are your thoughts on it? Do you think it will do well or tank? Will it be the game we've all been hoping for, or will it be a steaming pile? Will it go down in the annals of gaming history with titles like BGII, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum?

Also, did the Drawing Room not survive the transition to the new format?

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Its still there but I may not have gotten the settings right yet. The old forum software required settings in both the Admin control panel and on a screen in the forums itself but not in the control panel to both be set up.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I'm enthusiastic with bells on. From what I can tell the interface took a slating in the beta stage, but that was the beta stage and I'd imagine it'd be now much improved. It has all the main people of.. well.. basically just the Fallout series but that still means there's serious chops on both the writing and development side. Though it may not be all I hoped for, I'm pretty sure it will hit enough of the mark to be a hit with me and the vast majority of retro-PC gamers so it can become a landmark cult hit - showing mainstream developers that there's more than just crapping out the next COD clone or buggy Assassins Creed iteration. Will it be a classic - the jury's out of course but I hope so.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. Jungle Japes

I feel pretty confident that the setting, story, soundtrack, and visuals will all be somewhere between good and exceptional. I'm less confident about the game mechanics, specifically on the character advancement front. I guess I'm apprehensive after Wasteland 2 made such a weak showing in that department. Building the mechanical framework from scratch had to be challenging; hopefully Obsidian was up to the challenge.

I liked what I read about the difficulty settings: higher difficulty means more enemies, not just the same number of enemies but turned into bullet sponges.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

6. Jojobobo

There's a Reddit AMA here for those interested. Looks like they cover quite a bit, but I've only had time to skim it so far.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

What item was made in honour of us?

8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

We're getting closer!

Not sure how our distribution stuff is gonna go down for this. Excited anyway! Exclamation points!

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Why is the status of my order "Shipping soon"? If I'm to have it by Thursday, they had better have shipped it some time last week.
    Oh well, at least I'll have digital access.

10. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

AS far as I know, there is this one guy in Sweden responsible for everything:p ( My information is based on remembering one sentence in an old discussion from a reliable source(my siter SO is working at paradox but not near the game) Also, when I got my "funders gift" from warframe it had passed like 2 years and I had stopped playing it :p

My point is, this shit might take a while

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I will receive the pledge package and distribute all the rewards. Need to refresh my memory on who gets what, and I suppose we need some kind of lottery for items not decided upon.

12. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

13. Jungle Japes

A monocle. Or a mace. I'm not sure if we ever got a definitive answer on which would make it into the game. I'll let you know when I find it.

14. Jojobobo

Seems pretty great so far, I've made a Death Godlike Aumaua Bleak Walker Paladin because I thought being scary and mean might be fun. Unfortunately I don't have much time this weekend so I'm going to have to wait longer to get really stuck in.

15. Jungle Japes

So I found the monocle. Somewhat disappointingly, the item icon is a plain helmet; not sure if that's due to lack of effort, or to avoid confusing it with a ring. That aside, the on-character model looks pretty fly, if a bit small and hard to see. Sadly, I chose to play a godlike character, and am unable to wear it due to the no headgear restriction.

Item location:
    Amdeth's Den, the adventuring hall in Defiance Bay. Sold by the blacksmith after you complete a quest to access her stock."

Item Stats:
    +15 Will, can cast Whispering Treason (charm person spell)

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

17. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Glad I went for a human Cipher instead of, well anything related to Godlikes. Guess I'd better go back and find that breastplate now...

18. Jojobobo

One thing I do like about PoE is how you can equip things just by double clicking, so much easier than the drag and drop eh? Right?? Right????

PS If you haven't learnt to not take my advice by now or notice blatant subtext, it's your own damn fault!

Jungle Japes likes this.
  19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I keep right clicking items expecting them to be used or be equipped. Instead I keep getting a box of text.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  20. Jojobobo

Well for the love of god, don't double click them!

Our Host!